Saturday, October 4, 2008

Working from home means getting out of the sandbox


Sometimes as a work at home business owner, I can become surprised of my success. But what’s odder is when people, myself included, can be surprised when they fail. It’s not inevitable. At some point you will create a marketing campaign that might just bomb, or write something that will have critics (your reader) thinking, “I’d wipe my ass with this, but it’s full of enough crap.” Sometimes were just off the mark. We’re human, so why do we get so personally defensive when something just doesn’t turn out the way we expected.

Ego, of course plays a huge role. As work at home business owners we just don’t want to admit that we’re not perfect. We don’t feel like we can afford to. Online if you miss the target you’ve basically lost revenue from potentially thousands of customers. Yes, it’s a little bit of blow to our ego to say “wow, I mucked that one up.”

But after I stopped thinking that I have the best at everything, and started realizing that failure is great teacher, I got over myself and started earning more.

But you can’t do that if you’re too afraid to take your head out of the sand and face the facts. That’s what many struggling home-business owners do. They don’t check their stats, they don’t seek help, and they are reluctant to admit that things aren’t going well. Honesty is the best policy when it comes to working from home.

I’m talking about being honest with your customers (that’s common sense) but being honest with yourself. You’re not where you want to be and it’s time you stopped pretending you are.

Next, admit it to your family. If you’re pretending and hiding the fact that your business isn’t profitable yet to your family it will only affect your work habit, which will help to speed up the process of your fading business.

Notice how I said yet in the sentence above. The truth is anyone can become successful once they admit that they aren’t, that they have more to learn, and they put in the right work to turn things around.
But refusing to admit the fact will worsen the state of your business, and eventually, your personal happiness.

Get Started on the Path to Success Here

Adelaide Kwaning

No comments: